ERA-NET Cofund on the Blue Bioeconomy
The main objective of this Cofund is to establish a coordinated R&D funding scheme that will strengthen Europe’s position in the blue bioeconomy. The first co-funded call was launched on 17th December 2018 with a total budget of 30 million euros. The main areas addressed:
- developing innovative uses of underutilised and waste material from fisheries and aquaculture
- using biotechnology and ICT to develop smart, efficient, traceable food systems and create synergies between aquaculture and fisheries (genetic assessment and digitalisation)
- unlock potential of microbiomes to support growth in aquaculture, fisheries and food processing and biotechnology; apply the latest developments in ICT (IoT, machine learning, big data) to the Blue Bioeconomy
- creating predictive tools to improve the identification and targeting of biodiversity “hot-spots” in the oceans (omics based technologies)
- exploring synergies with land-based production in areas such as food and feed production and processing, biorefining, bioenergy, biomaterials, chemicals and nutrients and maximise the use of aquatic bioresources in terrestrial value chains
- improving aquaculture and wild harvesting of stocks by support for the creation of innovative feeds, improved brood stocks, by introducing new species, defining stock baselines, and assessing stocks and by encouraging the adoption of novel production technologies
Malta, together with 16 other countries, is supporting the Cofund Call. Results from the 2019 Call will be out soon.
Please visit the FUNDING page fot his website for updates in Blue Bioeconomy Open Calls.
More information on the Blue Bioeconomy Cofund can be found on its official website.