Created in 2008, the European Institute of Innovation and Technology (EIT) is a unique EU initiative tasked with tackling Europe’s structural weaknesses in innovation capacity as well as its ability to use its research and education qualities in delivering new services, products and processes and consequently also boost growth and jobs. The EIT has since been addressing these issues by supporting the development of dynamic pan-European partnerships integrating partners from higher education, research and innovation. These partnerships are known as EIT Innovation Communities. There are currently six Innovation Communities and each focuses on a different societal challenge:
- EIT Climate-KIC: addressing climate change mitigation and adaptation;
- EIT Digital: addressing Information and Communication Technologies;
- EIT InnoEnergy: addressing sustainable energy;
- EIT Health: addressing healthy living and active ageing;
- EIT Raw Materials: addressing sustainable exploration, extraction, processing, recycling and substitution; and;
- EIT Food: addressing sustainable supply chains from resources to consumers.
Additionally, in 2018, the EIT will designate two new Innovation Communities: EIT Manufacturing and EIT Urban Mobility.
This EIT Awareness Day aims to raise awareness of the activities, results and achievements of the EIT Community and in particular of the potential opportunities for engagement with Maltese stakeholders. Targeted bilateral meetings between interested stakeholders and representatives of the EIT Innovation Communities could also be arranged.